Saturday, January 16, 2010

Our troops

Today I am not in as jolly a mood as I would like.  When I see what has happened in Haiti, I feel so sad but so lucky at the same time.  Then of course we have the soldiers putting their lives on the line for our freedom and safety.  At this time I would like to share a poem with you that I wrote a while ago.


 TO ALL OF OUR TROOPS FIGHTING FOR US:

You give me hope for the future of “We the People of The United States..”

And the rights, freedoms and happiness this document conveys.

Hope to not lose the freedoms of yesterday and feelings of pride

In the Red, White, and Blue as it waves high in the sky.

Hope to awaken tomorrow knowing my family, home and farm are still mine,

And making a living that keeps us happy and comfortable most of the time.

Hope to still have my own thoughts, prayers, and freedom of speech

And have arguments with others who disagree but respect my beliefs.

Hope to be able to dream about my children’s future of a job, home, and children

And hopes that these dreams will come true as mine did so very often.

Hope that my students still feel the pride and emotion from their trip to The Capital

When they visited Mt. Vernon, Lincoln, and the Viet Nam Wall.

Hope that I will never forget the expressions and tears from my adult choir in DC

When they stood on the steps in front of  Lincoln  …their  American songs to sing.

Hope that I will no longer take for granted all of these blessings,

Thank you for helping us fight for these rights..”The Bell of Freedom” rings.



No comments:

Post a Comment