Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Embarrassed

I read today that Nevada rates 50th of the 50 states for k-12 education. They received a "D". The US average was a "C". Yes, I live in Nevada and taught here. I am embarrassed. When some of us would suggest some changes to our education system, we were laughed at or told everything was working just right or more money was needed to accomplish better scores. Money is not the solution. We need to go back to basics and let these students know from the beginning that there is discipline. We have academic standards (which have caused so many problems), but where are the discipline standards? I have been finding more and more educators and parents who believe the same. I guess we just have to continuing trying to be heard. I will get down off of my soap box for now. Let me leave you with this thought. In the 60's math decided it needed to make things more complicated. We learned 1+1=2. But, that was not enough. What if you had 1 apple +1 apple =2 and one of those apples had a bite taken out of it. Then you had 1+1<2. And it went on and on from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment