Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A little history

One of the many things I wanted to do was be a math teacher...very much like the ones I had in high school.  These men were very good.  My college profs were not too bad.  One really did not like females in the classes and had an ego that got in the way of his teaching. I have always loved math...loved to solve problems and look for patterns. I graduated from college with a math/music/elem.ed teaching degree.  Every math job I applied for asked if I could coach anything or wondered why I had math and music.  To make a long story short, I finally taught math my last thirteen years of teaching in a public school. Sometimes my students would laugh because they said that I got too excited about things.  And, I did.  Solving quadratic equations... so fun. Triangles and hexagons... great fun.  I could go on and on.                                                       Here is something that I do when I am driving.  I look at the license plate numbers and try to do find patterns or just turn the numbers into problems.  What is it divisible by?  What is the square root?  What would the next number be?  What is the sum?, etc.  See, I think this is fun.  I would love to show many students and parents how fun math can be.  And, music and math do go together.  Those of us who teach music have been trying to show for years how music and rhythm help you learn math facts, alphabet (the alphabet song), English grammar rules, etc.  In the paper this morning there is an article about a school district receiving a grant to "infuse" music with math and English.  "Teachers said music helps build better brains."  This is not new data. I hope to share some of my ideas of "infusing" music with math, English, and other subjects.  For now, I will leave you with this silly story.  When my children and I were driving through the city one day, I noticed a sign on a shoe store that read SAS .  I excitedly yelled out, "Look, that is side-angle side."

No comments:

Post a Comment